Thursday, May 30, 2013

Beautiful Darkness

Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)Book Title: Beautiful Darkness
Authors: Kami Garcia and Margaret Sohtl
Genres: Fantasy, Witchcraft, Romance
Books like it: Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Redemption
Favorite Quote: “I had never been this mad at her before. It was one thing to be attacked by someone you hated, but this was something else. This was the kind of hurt that could only be inflicted by someone you loved, who you thought loved you. It was sort of like being stabbed from the inside out.”  

Brief Synopsis from Goodreads:

 Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.


My Summary:

My Review for Beautiful Creatures was one of those really short reviews from the past, so I hope that this post is a lot better and a lot more detailed. The truth is, I bought this book for only two dollars on the Kindle Daily Deal! It was amazing and I loved Beautiful Darkness, although it was not (in my opinion) as good as Beautiful Creatures. If this review is kind of lacking in detail I apologize because I read this book in January and keep forgetting to do it, so I am going off of memory here.

The main problem in this book is DEPRESSION. Of course, Lena is devastated by the death of her Uncle Macon. Ethan still does not know that his life was traded in exchange for Macon's, but he does know that Macon died and it is pulling Lena forever away from him. When Lena starts to withdraw, and keep secrets, Ethan is worried about her. And when he keeps finding her with another boy, he wonders if her love is lost. When Lena gives him the devastating news that she is leaving, Ethan watches his life slowly fade. And to top it all off, he is having odd hallucinations that only he can see. The second book in the Caster Chronicles is intriguing and will definitely delight the readers of Beautiful Creatures.


I must say, in the beginning of this book, I was like, why did I pick up this book? And then I got to the finale and I wanted to slap myself! Why did I ever doubt these authors? Push through the first hundred or so pages! You can make it!

Ridley is definitely my all time favorite character. Yes, I know she was one of the main villains. I don't care, she is such an amazing bad girl! I was excited when she became one of the main characters in this book. Also, some new characters were introduced, including a girl named Olivia, a boy named John, and a cat named Lucille. I loved Olivia, or "Liv," as she prefers to be called. She was an awesome British nerd girl (and everyone knows that I love British nerds, you just have to watch Doctor Who). John is a very interesting twist, but I will not spoil anything about him. And the cat was an amazing cat.

Pros: This was an okay and average book. It had some twists and turns and new surprises.
Cons: This book was nowhere near as good as Beautiful Creatures. I think it is always disappointing when books do not get better as the series progresses.

Review: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...