Saturday, May 18, 2013

Divergent

Book Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Number of Pages: 487
Genre(s): Dystopian, Romance
Books like it: Hunger Games, Legend
My favorite quote:
"“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
Brief Synopsis from Goodreads:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.







My Summary:

Divergent is about a girl named Beatrice Prior who lives in a dystopian world where the society is divided into five factions, Candor (the honest) Abnegation (the selfless) Dauntless (the brave) Amity (the peaceful) and Erudite (the intelligent.) The society has always believed in one rule: faction before blood. This means that Beatrice must choose over her family who she wants to be. She has grown up all her life as an Abnegation, and she does not feel like she is a selfless enough person to stay. When she turns sixteen, she takes her aptitude test, a test that tells her the faction she should most likely belong to. When Beatrice takes the test, she learns that she has three aptitude results, which is highly uncommon.  Tori, the person who administered her aptitude test tells her that she is something called Divergent, and it is very dangerous to be one, although no one knows why. Beatrice can never tell anyone she is Divergent, and pretend that her aptitude test results were, in fact, Abnegation.

When it comes to be choosing day, the day Beatrice must choose which faction she belongs to, she makes a life changing decision: To leave her faction and her family to be Dauntless. She leaves the past behind her and tries to be ready for the fast paced and dangerous life she has ahead. It is not as easy as it may seem. She takes on a new name, Tris, and she must learn to survive the world of courage, strength, and overcoming her darkest fears that lie ahead.

This book, believe it or not, actually does have some romance in it. Tris is falling for the dark and mysterious Four, a trainer and Dauntless leader. It takes some guts to be Dauntless, let me tell you. If you don't pass the tests, you are factionless forever with no food or clothes or any dignity left. Tris is a strong character, although my favorite would have to be Four. This is definitely my favorite book in the entire world, and if you never read a single book that I have reviewed on this blog, that is absolutely fine,  you can, except you MUST read this one. It topped Hunger Games, and Twilight, and whatever books that you might love.

Minor spoilers ahead, if you don't mind some quotes. This one was a big slipup from Tris about her feelings for Four:

“Okay, okay.” I set my hand on top of his and guide it to my chest, so it’s right over my heart. “Feel my heartbeat. Can you feel it?”
“Yes.”
“Feel how steady it is?”
“It’s fast.”
“Yes, well, that has nothing to do with the box.” I wince as soon as I’m done
speaking. I just admitted to something. Hopefully he doesn’t realize that.


Except her efforts to change the subject don't work:

“Okay. Then...I can talk. Ask me something."
"Okay." He laughs shakily in my ear. "Why is your heart racing Tris?"
I cringe and say, "Well, I...I barely know you. I barely know you and I'm crammed up against you in a box, Four, what do you think?"...
"Maybe you were cut out for Candor," he says, "because you're a terrible liar.”  


This is the wonderful part when Tris chooses to rename herself. I like it because it shows that she is ready to start over, and Tris is now who she really is.

“There's a reason why she left them, Lauren," he says. His voice is deep, and it rumbles. "What's your name?"
"Um..." I don't know why I hesitate. But "Beatrice" just doesn't sound right anymore.
"Think about it," he says, a faint smile curling his lips. " You don't get to pick again."
A new place, a new name. I can be remade here.
"Tris," I say firmly.  


I know lots of people compare this book to the Hunger Games, heck, I compared it to the Hunger Games a second ago. But the best thing about Divergent is that it is so unique. I finished this book in about two hours, that is how wonderful it was. I don't think I even blinked until I was done. It has just the perfect amount of suspense, adventure, action, and romance, that it is the perfect recipe for a book.

The big question we are asking ourselves is:

The truth is, I am not very honest, or brave, or selfless most of the time.  I think if anything I am probably the Erudite, but that isn't what I would choose, of course. If Four and Tris were there, I would totally be Dauntless.
This was on Tumblr and it made me laugh:




Okay, I am done with the pictures. Pros and cons, anyone?

Pros: Four and Tris were amazing. I loved Tris's mother, she was intriguing and surprised me a lot. This book had a lot of cliffhangers and "Like, whoa!" because stuff that was so unexpected just kept coming. Basically, the whole entire book was a pro.

Cons: THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS BOOK!!!!
Review: 5 stars!!! Best book ever!!!!!!!!

************ I hope you guys liked my re-review of this book! :) bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...