Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Elite



The Elite (The Selection, #2)
The Elite by Kiera Cass
 
Number of Pages: 323
Genre: Dystopian, Romance
Books like it: Matched, Cinder, The Selection
My Favorite Quote:
Brief Synopsis from Goodreads:
 
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.
 
My Summary:
Okay, so this book was just as breathtaking as the Selection. The competition is harder than ever with Marlee, Kriss, Celeste, Elise, and Natalie all bating their eyelids at Prince Maxon. Meanwhile, Maxon might be falling in love with other girls as America pulls away. I was scared for a second because Maxon is my man and I actually liked Aspen better. At the first of the book, I was like, "yes, that is my boy!" and then he was being a jerk and Aspen was really romantic. It was horrific! Maxon was pulling farther away America and having his hands all over the other girls. And Kriss, oh my gosh. I won't even do this because NO SPOILERS but let's say I am so.... geez. The ending was a HUGE surprise, trust me. I am eagerly awaiting The One, the third book in the series. I am still on Team Maxon, and I hope that is where I will stay. Anyway, now for the actual summary.
 
Maxon can tell that America still needs time to make her decision to marry him or not, but he is starting to withdraw and become impatient. Meanwhile, America is having a difficult time choosing the man of her dreams. Maxon is faithful, patient, and her life with him is full of possibilities. When she is with Aspen, she reminded of their time together and how much she used to love him. The Selection is narrowing down and soon the Top Three will be near and it will be time for Maxon to choose his bride.
 
Meanwhile, there are lots of other conflicts in this book. Most of them I can't tell you, but I will tell you that the girls are tough competition for America. America finds a poll and learns that Illea thinks she is the worst person to sit on the throne. And although she has growing feelings for Maxon, she denies them because she does not want the crown.
 
Then America finds something that could change Illea forever,  a secret that has been kept since the beginning of the kingdom. America has to choose, and she must choose quickly, does she want to give up Maxon so she won't have to be the princess? Read to find out.
 
The characters:
America was amazing as always, but I was getting really ticked at her for going back and forth. Maxon was doing very sweet things for America, and Aspen was having forbidden picnics, I get it, her choice is hard, but I was so freaking sick of her changing her mind all the time. She is still as enchanting, stubborn, and beautiful as she was in the first book but she needs to CHOOSE!
Maxon: Oh, my gorgeous prince :) You got to learn more about him, and his secrets. I fell even more in love with him, and if Mer does not win the Selection, even though she HAS too, he will be mine. He is so handsome and sweet and generous. And really princey. What ever you do, do not loose faith in him at the start of the book like I did. Please.
Aspen: Aspen was okay, but I am still really annoyed by him. Even though he knows what he is doing is against the rules, and even life-threatening to the girl he loves, he still does it, which I think is really selfish. I just don't get why America still loves him. Sorry.
 
Pros: This book was much better than the Selection and Cass dropped a lot of "whoa" bombs that made you keep reading. It was a flawless story, really. And Maxon was gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. My future boyfriend.
 
Cons: Kriss, Celeste, and Aspen need to just go. I'm serious. They are currently at the top of my hit list. GO AWAY!!!!!! PLEASE!
 
Review: 5 stars. Duh. Like I said, Maxon is gorgeous.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...