Thursday, November 28, 2013

Champion

14290364


******MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ LEGEND OR PRODIGY******

Book Title: Champion
Author: Marie Lu
Number of Pages: 369
Rating: 4.5 stars
Genres: Dystopian, YA Fiction, Young Adult, Action-Adventure
Books like it: Allegiant by Veronica Roth
My favorite quote:

 “Then Day reaches out and touches my hand with his. He encloses it in a handshake. And just like that, I am linked with him again, I feel the pulse of our bond and his- tory and love through our hands, like a wave of magic, the return of a long-lost friend. Of something meant to be. The feeling brings tears to my eyes. Perhaps we can take a step forward together.
“Hi,” he says. “I’m Daniel.”
“Hi,” I reply. “I’m June.”
  

Brief Synopsis from Goodreads:

The explosive finale to Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND trilogy—perfect for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT!

He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.


An amazing finale to the Legend trilogy with heartbreaks, romance, and kick-butt action scenes.

My review:

******MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ LEGEND OR PRODIGY******

"Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don’t last forever, you know. But I’ll fight as hard as I can. I can promise you that.”

Wait. One second...this series is now over? WHY??? WHY??? MARIE LU PLEASE HURRY UP AND WRITE SOMETHING ELSE....... This became my favorite series about five seconds after I read Allegiant. Speaking of Allegiant.... oh wait... please excuse me while I try to put on my brave face.



Okay. I'm back now. Anyways, this book was not like Allegiant's ending, I can promise you that. The ending was bittersweet, but Marie Lu did not take her fans hearts and stomp on them, unlike some authors... ahem Veronica Roth.
I think this was the best final book to a series that I have ever read. Lu has really progressed with her writing. I mean, Legend and Prodigy were good, okay. Heck, they were amazing. And that Prodigy ending.... OMG. But this book was definitely my favorite.


******MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ LEGEND OR PRODIGY******

First order of business.... June and Day.

A picture of Day and June kissing in Legend. Drawn by Marie Lu.




I totally shipped them from their first meeting in Legend. Tess can just leave. Well, wait. I still love Tess, but June... you just can't compete with June. They are a perfect match... perfect girl meets bad boy. Day sure knows how to get the butterflies going, man.

You drive me insane, June. You're the scariest, most clever, bravest person I know, and sometimes I can't catch my breath because I'm trying so hard to keep up. There will never be another like you. You realize that, don't you? Billions of people will come and go in this world, but there will never be another like you.

And I am going to shatter this nice little moment. In case any of you have forgotten, we left off in Prodigy with Day's shocking secret: He's dying. Does he decide to tell June? No.

What’s the point of keeping in touch with the girl you’re crazy about, when you’re dying?

He says this at the very beginning of the book, when we learn that he has not spoken to June in about eight months. Even though they have very easy ways to communicate, both of them are both scared to be the one that breaks the silence between them. Day is still devastatingly in love with June, where she thinks he no longer cares about her. I wanted to speak to her right then. I probably would have been like:
JUNE!!! WAKE UP AND PULL YOUR HEAD OUTTA THE CLOUDS! THE GUY IS IN LOVE WITH YOU AND HE'S DYING!!!!
And then I would've added a slap for good measure.

Still, the romance does have some development, and we get some very satisfying conversations (see above) and some PG rated scenes.

Order of Business #2: The war.

News flash: When there is a war going on in a book, it means you will get some very awesome kick-butt action scenes! Especially when you're heroine is totally boss.

The Avengers - Black Widow

With their soldiers stretched thin, and their confidence fading away with each passing day, the Republic is failing to fight against the Colonies. Antarctica is their only remaining ally, and unless the Republic finds a cure for the plague that sweeps across their nation, Antarctica refuses to help them.
Day and June might have had the key to saving their country all along.

Order of Business #3:

Commander Jameson.
FYI: I hate you.
WHAT IN THE NAME OF &*%$#@ IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?! YOU *&%$#@!!! HOW DARE YOU ORDER THE MURDER OF METIAS AND HOW DARE YOU TRY TO KILL JUNE AND DAY.

Breathe, Sarah. Breathe.
 And I am calm again.
Let's just get this through y'all people's heads: I don't like this character. Not at all.

Order of Business #4

Anden.



Get away from June. Just BAAAAAAAAAAAAACKKK away. I'm sorry for all you Anden lovers, but she is Day's. He saw her first and he called dibs.
Don't violate the Man Code.
He kissed her first and he's way more emotional and romantic than you are dude so go find a corner to cry in and a soft teddy bear.

Conclusion:

I feel like I'm saying goodbye to an old friend. I loved this series. If you haven't read it, despite the fact that I put bold "Major Spoiler" warnings all over this- and that I just spoiled books one and two for you- read it anyway. You will not regret it. This is an amazing series for action lovers, dystopian lovers, and romance lovers.
This book was inspiring at some parts and played with my emotions. It takes a good writer to make me feel connected with my characters. So I congratulate you, Marie Lu. Great job. You created a story that I will remember forever.
*As this book leaves, standing ovation occurs.*



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...